I distinguished spaces under three main headings:
Learning Spaces
- Classrooms
- Dance Studios
- Library
Performative Spaces
- Auditorium
- Toilets
- Staff rooms
- Storage
- Dressing rooms
I also established that there were a few spaces which had a use that crossed over one or more headings
Crossover Spaces
- Rehearsal rooms (which may be used for small performances)
- Foyer (entry for both Learning and Performance spaces)
- Cafe (used by all users, as well as the general public)
I then created a diagram to show the necessary space adjacencies, as well as whether artificial or natural light was needed in each space.
Understandably, storage spaces would use artificial light as natural light may cause the deterioration of props, costumes and sets. The library would need artificial light in areas where books were stored, but some study spaces could have natural light. Performance spaces would need artificial light for staging and performances, but may utilise natural light for other performances, while learning spaces would benefit from soft natural light.

No comments:
Post a Comment